|Ancient Worship in the Desert
Ancient Worship in the Desert
The 'Negev" InterDisciplinary Center
Midreshet Sde Boker
Thursday, April 14, 2005
10:00-10:30 Registration and coffee
10:30-12:30 Greetings & Opening Remarks
- Dr. Uzi Avner - Desert worship and its unique characteristics
- Prof. Adam Zertal: Desert nomadic worship in the Jordan Valley
12:30-13:00 Light Lunch
- excursion to the site of Mount Yeruham (a large center of worship from the Ancient and Middle Bronze Ages), guided by the staff of the Negev Interdisciplinary Center and the Sde Boker Field School. The excursion does not entail difficult walking.
19:00 Evening Session (in the Moreshet Ben Gurion auditorium)
- Prof. Emmanuel Anati - Expressions of worship in rock art
- Dr. Uzi Avner - Recent findings in the area of the Negev Highlands
Friday, April 15, 2005
08:30 Morning Session:
- Dr. Micha Ankori: Archetypes and worship - the connection between psychology and worship
- Dr. Yehushua Barmen: The dual relationship towards tombstones in the Bible and their interpretation
- Prof. Steve Rozen - Worship of the Sun in desert cultures
11:45-12:15 Light Lunch
- Excursion to Mizpe Hagai, to the "Lost City" (ancient Muslim center of worship from the 9th century), and to the rock art on Mount Mechia, guided by the staff of the Negev Interdisciplinary Center and the Sde Boker Field School. The excursion does not entail difficult walking.
Cost of participation:
120 shekel (including refreshments, two light lunches and transportation to two excursions).
80 shekel for residents of Ramat Negev.
Updated Hebrew site of the conference and registration form can be found at: www.boker.org.il/pulhan.htm
Yigal Granot - email@example.com, 050-5646796, 08-6532820 fax: 08-6556287
At the Sde Boker Field School, requiring extra cost and reservation of room beforehand. Contact the Field School office: 08-6532016 (please inform them that you have registered for the conference)
Information about tourist sites in the Negev Highlands: 08-6554418
Excursion to Har Karkom
guided by Prof. Emmanuel Anati and Dr. Uzi Avneri
- Route 1: by car and foot
- Route 2: by mountain bike (guided by Hezi Yithak)
- 150 shekel for participants of the conference
- 180 shekel for the excursion only (including transportation to and from Midreshet Ben Gurion to Har Karkom).
Accomodation at the Sde Boker Field School (special low price)
Further details and registration: Sde Boker Field School - 08-6532016 fax: 08-6532721